Vice-Chair, Department of Emergency Medicine, Chief, Pediatric Emergency Medicine, Professor of Emergency Medicine and Pediatrics
MD, Seth G S Medical College and KEM Hospital, Mumbai, Maharashtra India
MPH, University of Michigan
MBA, University of Massachusetts, Amherst
Currently, he is the founding chair of Emergency Medicine Education and Research by Global Experts (www.emergenetwork.org), a global emergency research network across 17 countries and 23 emergency departments. He co-directs a pediatric emergency medicine training program in India and his work has been foundational in India’s acceptance of PEM as a sub-speciality.
He has a track record of continuous federal funding for the past two decades from NIH(NICHD), AHRQ, and NSF. His prime area of focus is now investigating and improving clinical decision making in the context of emergency care.
Along with his collaborators, he has comprehensively investigated the evaluation and management of well appearing young febrile infants 60 days of age and younger and developed clinical prediction rules that can aid in decision-making and quantified the host immune response to bacterial and non-bacterial infections in the form of biosignatures using complex transcriptomic analyses.
He has been federally funded in patient safety, specifically in the context of diagnostic decision making in the emergency department. He has developed a framework for assessing diagnostic quality, identified triggers to study the frequency of diagnostic errors, factors contributing to diagnostic errors, harm from diagnostic errors in pediatric and general emergency medicine.
He is currently investigating the use and application of extended reality (including virtual and augmented reality) to aid clinical decision-making in high-stress situations such as pediatric resuscitations. He has developed cloud-based, extended reality models called ambient intelligence which can enhance cognitive and procedural skills of emergency care providers in on-demand context (training and education), in simulation (enhancing simulation with digital images), and application of extended reality to deliver care in real-time to assist patients, paramedics, remote ED clinicians and subspecialists to come together in a real-world and simulated-world to reduce harm and improve pediatric patient safety. He currently is funded by NSF, The Doctors Foundation and The Graduate Medical Foundation of University of Michigan to develop tools in extended reality to enhance immersive simulation for learners across the globe.
Precision Pediatric Sepsis
ACRU | IHPI | MCIRCC
Community and Professional Affiliation(s)
AAP | SAEM
Biomarkers | Clinical research | Data science / Analytics / AI | Health services research | Implementation
- Implicit Review Instrument to Evaluate Quality of Care Delivered by Physicians to Children in Emergency Departments
- The State of Quality Improvement Training in Pediatric Emergency Medicine Programs: A National Survey of Fellowship Program Directors.
- Appurtenant: Enhancing completeness and efficiency of bidirectional patient-physician communication using automatic speech recognition
- Principal investigator of: RNA Biosignatures in the Emergency Evaluation of Young Febrile Infants (Biosig I)
- Principal investigator of: RNA Biosignatures: A Paradigm Change for the Management of Young Febrile Infants
- Principal investigator of: Missed Opportunities for Improving Diagnosis in Pediatric Emergency Care