Professor of Medicine, Special Advisor to the President
Internal Medicine - Infectious Disease
MS, University of Michigan
MD, Wayne State University School of Medicine
MSJ, Northwestern University
As the University’s chief health officer from 2017-22, Dr. Malani worked with dozens of individuals committed to advancing health across campus, often taking an academic lens to the role employers can play in improving health equity. During the pandemic, Gov. Gretchen Whitmer appointed Dr. Malani to the state’s COVID-19 Nursing Home Task Force. She also served on the National Institutes of Health’s Data Safety and Monitoring Board for Operation Warp Speed. She is a member of the research team that oversees the National Poll on Healthy Aging based at the Institute for Healthcare Policy and Innovation, serving as the poll’s inaugural director from 2016-22.
Dr. Malani is a graduate of the University of Michigan. She received her MD degree from Wayne State University School of Medicine. Prior to medical school, she completed a master’s degree in journalism at Northwestern University’s Medill School of Journalism. She completed her internal medicine residency and infectious diseases fellowship at the University of Michigan where she also received a master’s degree in clinical research design and statistical analysis. She completed fellowship training in geriatric medicine at the Oregon Health and Science University.
National Poll on Healthy Aging, infection control and prevention
IHPI | Office of the President
Biostatistics | Clinical Microbiology | Clinical research | Health services research | Infectious Diseases
- Reply to Walker et al
- Identifying Patients with Severa Sepsis Using Administrative Claims: Patient-Level Validation of the Angus Implementation of the International Consensus Conference Definition of Severe Sepsis.
- Functional outcomes of general medical patients with severe sepsis
- Co-investigator of: Racial/Ethnic Disparities in Medicare Advantage vs. Traditional Medicare: Evidence to Improve Equity in Medicare
- Co-investigator of: EDITORIAL OFFICE FOR "INFECTION CONTROL HOSPITAL EPIDEMIOLOGY" OF THE SOCIETY FOR HEALTH EPIDEMIOLOGY OF AMERICA
- Principal investigator of: Editorial Office for Clinical Infectious Diseases